Wednesday 29 November 2023

Doctor Who 2023: 60th Anniversary 1st Special: The Star Beast

 Righty oh so after a little hiatus after all that Jodie Whittaker stuff. Now let's get one thing straight I was open to a female doctor timelords are aliens with regeneration powers. I mean come on try can probably become other races too. Not only that Jodie was pretty good as the doctor most of the time. It was just most of the stories were too preachy or just badly written AND I'm sorry but the timeless child stuff was shit.

Anyway we're here because Jodie strangely regenerated into Tennant again?

RTD was back at the helm Doctor Who was saved, except no AND yes. This episode was both amazing in execution with lots of tech, whizz bangs and fun. Not to mention a great enemy that was if you didn't already know the old comics quite a shocker!

First up things I liked, Tennant for the most part was straight back into his shoes. Donna albeit a little different (though explained why later) was great too. Shaun her husband was amazing too, probably one of my favourite parts actually. The star beast or The Meep was great as well as it's practical effects too. It was 'nice' to see UNIT back too but more on that later too. The alien hunters were great too and the return of the shadow proclamation also. As well as the impromptu courtroom scene. Yes I noticed the bullets did no damage to the car.

It's easy to see the cash injections that the shows had too upping the production values sky high. The new tech was amazing, though maybe a little over reliance on the sonic screwdriver. But I'm a Sci-Fi geek so I loved it still. It was funny and sad at times which made me smile and also at one time brought a tear to my eye.

Now the little niggles: UNIT could have just been the army or pretty much any other military service. Granted they are setting them up for later episodes, it was just a bit wet lettuce you know. Now the scientist in the wheelchair was amazing beautiful and we'll acted, the weapons were very cheesy. Now one bug bear I had was the soldier uses the stairs he's like sorry mam. WHY anyone with half a brain cell knows wheelchairs can't go up stairs, there was literally no need to point it out. As mentioned the over use of sonic for almost every situation. Except the spaceship bit with the deadlock.

Now here's the bit that might annoy some people who don't really read into it and just take it at face value. I have never and never will be a bigot of any kind. I've been around the LGBTQ scene all my life. From when my friend came out to going to (what they were referred to back in the 90s as) gay clubs. Not only that I've dated 3 Trans girls throughout my life too. It was the damn over use of pointing out that Yasmins character (who was very wooden and looks about 30 playing a 15 year old) Rose was Trans, every minute of every scene she was involved in something was brought up. Now nothing bad in that or saying it a few times. Especially with Donna's mother because even me at 41 now having friends/ex-partners still get things messed up, my dad at 63 jeez I wouldn't even TRY to explain to him. These things do all lead into my biggest concern with the episode with also spawns a few niggles itself then too.

The doctor is an almost omnipotent being who can be any gender, probably any race (and I mean alien etc not skin colour). Gets scolded for possible misgendering the Meep who just throws it under the carpet anyway. Then we get him being scolded about presenting as male later on when Donna and Rose can just 'let go' because only women can do that apparently. Which brings me to a good point my one trans friend brought up. Does that mean FtoM trans identifying people are shit then?

I mean they identify as men now see that's what you get writing stupid shit like that in. Back to the point, again making the doctor who (hehe) has previously been female out to be inferior now. I mean come on stick to a path and follow it.

Now rant over onto some other points, the glass divider coming down really reminded of End of Time with Wilf that's what made me tear up. The whole doctor Donna bit was awesome too, I knew she wasn't dead so didn't get sad. The ease in which it was solved felt a little detracting from the emotional loss of letting her go before too. The evil Meep was cool but didn't need to be like oh my boss will be unhappy! 
We know there's a bigger bad, in fact it wasn't needed to even be said, again felt a little dumbed down there.
Now over all I did actually like the episode the action and Sci-Fi-ness of it all was great.
Som factors to point out, some people said Donna spilling the coffee looks very deliberate. I'm inclined to think no, Catherine is a very slapstick comedian who does 'over the top' but we'll see on that. Also the fact that she somehow knew that Tennant wasn't 10th but 14th, again metacrisis meant they were linked so I think that's how she knew about in-between doctors. Again we'll see on that. What I'm hoping now is they got the woke out in this episode, so the next 2 will be pure storyline awesomeness.

Star beast gets a disappointing 3 out 5 from THN as I can tell the more I watch it the more those things will grate on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment