Sunday 11 September 2022

Review: Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)

Stars: Jim Varney, Austin Nagler 

Budget: 9.6 million

Directed By: John R. Cherry III


I know this isn't what you'd call a horror film but it is a spooky addition to the Ernest series of films. Now I live in the UK and these films weren't as well known over here as the US. In fact this was the only one I knew about for a little while, hey I was 9 in 91' lol.

I do have to say after seeing a few more Ernest films that this one was my favourite, though I don't outright hate any of the others I've seen. Ernest goes to Jail at this time is the only one I remember almost as well as Scared Stupid.

So the premise, our lovable fool Ernest accidentally frees a troll demon from a cursed tree. That was trapped in the 19th century this troll kidnaps kids and turns them into little wooden figures. See the Worrols were cursed to be the only ones who could free it.
Ernest breaks the cursed looking tree it was trapped in. That's how it escapes.
The rest of the film is played out with him trying to find out how to retrap the troll and convincing some of the other people in town. The one thing that sticks in my memory and I don't know why is looking for a weakness Ernest sees something called Mi_k and instantly thinks it's a rare bulgarian chutney or something called miak. The troll actually grossed me out as a kid too.

I liked this film quite a lot and THN awards Ernest Scared Stupid a good 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment