Friday 11 March 2022

Review: Scream 5 (2022)

Stars: Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox

Budget: $24 million

Directed By: Tyler Gillett, Matt Bettinelli-Opin




Well, well this got made didn't it, did we need a 5th scream movie? 

Probably not, but we got one anyway. I do like the dedication to Wes at the end it was very fitting. Now there's things I had heard from various sources about this film before I watched it.

Things like it was going meta like new nightmare etc but thankfully it didn't. This however is a double edged sword in this franchise, a franchise that tries to step out of the box with each part. Unfortunately only the first 2 ever coming close to this.

So 3, 4 and yes even this one become run of the mill who dunnit slasher flicks. Thankfully I went in spoiler free, so it did take me about 1/3 of the movie to guess at least one of the killers. Unfortunately this movie does the thing, you know white men not allowed to live or being the bad guy thing.

So from here out spoiler territory Dewey dies, yes the guy who has been stabbed in the back every movie before this yet lived meets his final stabbing. They do play it off in a nice send off for him in the end though, though I'd have preferred Gail to die myself. It's not particularly gory either though by today's standards the past films aren't to bad either but it's certainly tame, which may have helped a bit with OMG factor, but sadly not.

I won't spoil to much more other than once you guess who the killers are you'll be left scratching your head as to motive, though not entirely outlandish it just comes off as bland and by the numbers these days reasons for anything like that.

In film order I used to rank scream as 1-2-4-3 I now rank it as 1-2-4/5-3 why? Because as to now I'm flip flopping which I prefer/dislike the most. This did reasonably well at the box office with its smallish budget, we may see a 6 but I can already see the formula if they keep making them now, it'll be each older actor left killed off at some point in each subsequent movie.

THN awards Scream5 a meh-ish 2 out of 5 if you just want a slasher flick to watch.



No comments:

Post a Comment