Sunday 6 June 2021

Review: Spiral (2021)

Stars: Chris Rock, Samuel L. Jackson

Budget: $20 million

Directed By: Darren Lynn Bousman

So a continuation of the saw franchise or a sideways step?
whatever it is, it is still in the same world a few years after the original films timeline has ended.
It has someone doing copycat killings against the police forces corrupted officers.

Chris Rock plays Dt. Zeke Banks a disliked Detective because he got a fellow police officer in trouble being dirty.
A lot of people have said Chris's acting i this is a little'off' at the beginning I agree, but there's a reason I think.
Listen to him speak he's genuinely speaking his mind about some real world problems, I both admire him for some of the things he brings up but have to say maybe a film like this wasn't the best place to do that.
His acting does improve after about the 20-30 minutes after he's gotten all his rants out.

Now I did actually enjoy this film despite that and I tell you why. it felt like a 90's action film in story and pacing but with all your modern trope and aesthetics.
I don't know if anyone felt this way but I genuinely felt like I was back in time watching an older film like a gorier lethal weapon and no this isn't because Chris in that film either, I think it was the troubled cop who doesn't want partner etc, it just all added up.

I will say it's a pretty easy to read film, I did guess the killer as soon as I saw them even with the twists and turns that are common in Saw films. Sam Jackson is as always excellent in his roll as the uncaring, or is he? Father of Zeke.
I can't go into much with this film because almost everything other than lightly touching on the story is a pretty big give away that if you watch it will give you big clues to solving the 'killer'.
It is definitely worth a worth a watch, especially if your invested in the saw franchise, plus you all know my love for franchise continuations.
So THN awards Spiral (2021) a good 3 out of 5, worth a watch if you can ignore Chris's rants.



No comments:

Post a Comment