Thursday 25 August 2016

Book Review: Zomcats non spoiler as possible!

Author: Jack Strange



Haha! Another book by the above author and yes it's a follow up to the amazingly refreshing read and take on zombie genre, Celebrity Chef Zombie Apocalypse.
So do you guys remember the sawblade midriff kitty Henderson? Well we all know the freaky cat got away at the end of ccza.
He managed to find his way to a small village named Nobblethwaite. The village is like any small one you'd come across anywhere in the UK. Having lived in the valleys for many years it was very nostalgic for me.
So Henderson befriends a blind man who he ends up annoying and through this ends with him getting bitten. And like the previous book, though maybe not as quickly as then the man turn into cat.
The village also has a gang of bullies also reminiscent as these villages usually do have rogue bored teens, though no where near as bad lol.

This what I love about jack's writing style is its a massively over blown parody of things that actually exist. Atleast on the real things, as zombies and zomcats don't exist, or do they?

This book is great as it introduces new things to keep it fresh but also either ties up open plots from the last or reintroduces them very well. Such as the last guy who got bit by Henderson to Floyd, kat etc. This leads to new threads and opens up to new sequel's etc.

This is the one problem I have with it, it does at times have to much going on. But that also is overlooked by the fact that Mr Strange does not get caught in a corner with his writing he gets out of these multiple threads by intelligent plots.
And instead of being a bit daunted  by all the open ends at the end of this I am actually very interested to see where the author takes the story in the future.

Final thoughts, I was very entertained by this book just like the last one I really love, possibly due to my age and the background I was brought up in the way Jack writes. I still like Roy chubby brown jokes etc, the satire and parodies ring true with me.
It's very intelligent you really have to know your material with this style. I'm rambling but it's because it's just a good style I like. Slightly less enthralling than ccza but no less fun THN rates this book a strong 4/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment