Wednesday 12 December 2012

Hellraiser: Revelations, Back Review


Hellraiser: Revelations, Back Review

Year: 2011
Stars: Fred Tatasciore, Daniel Buran and Steven Brand
Directed: Víctor García
Running Time:  75 Mins Approx.

 

My god what the hell happened here, I know the last few instalments of Hellraiser weren’t that great but where did travesty come from? I didn’t even know this was made until a little while ago; it took me a little while to build up the courage to try a Hellraiser that didn’t even have Doug Bradley as pinhead.
I’m sure he would have done it if asked he’s not exactly going cost you a lot to get in one of his favourite roles, Unfortunately the salary was abysmal so he did say no, so that surprised me, I don’t care about it though he IS pinhead. That given the guy who takes over the pins is probably one of the people who really put an effort in.

 
Anyway rant over let’s get on with the film, so yes a quick cash in I’m sure and also from some sources I’ve been told and read a way to keep the licence for the film a little longer. Thrown together with a measly budget of only $300,000, this can be seen easily in not a lot of retakes and the relative short running time. Since the film was a one draft affair (another reason why Doug didn’t want to do it) you can really tell.
One thing I will say for this film for the tiny budget the effects and make up were relatively decent and that’s where this film being decent plummets into a vast black hole.
I know i usually tell you a little about the actors etc here but these people are so obscure it's not worth wasting your time
 
Right this movie starts with a bout of shaky cam goodness, which, and I really don’t want to say this because it isn’t thankful, it’s just I hate shaky cam more than anything ever, it’s just not a good way to tell a story, no matter how gritty and realistic it makes things look.
Anyway this THANKFULLY doesn’t persist and the movie isn’t a shaky cam affair, this introduces us to two protagonists Steven and Nico one apparently tricked the other saying they were going on a road trip to Disney land, wrong their heading to Mexico!
They have a night of drinking with the intent of getting laid. Anyway film cuts here to them opening the box which we all know and love and pinhead appearing they shit themselves, cut to proper filming with some bad acting to Steven’s mother watching the happenings on the camcorder crying because her son is missing.
They’ve been looked for by all sorts’ investigators police, Mexican police you name it they’ve looked. So the families a little distraught the daughter doesn’t really get it as she hasn’t seen the film, now I know I’m explaining this a bit all over the shop.
That’s because it is.

 
Anyway Steven miraculously appears at their front door gibbering and covered in, gasp! Not his own blood. I watched the rest of the film in abstract horror as it just degenerates into pinhead killing for fun. Which is something he doesn’t do really he wants you to revel in pain, worship at its altar, not just kill for the sake of it. So we also have some other cenobytes a female chatterer and Nico is turned into a weird pseudo pinhead.
It really is just to keep to the licence for the film series I’ve seen some films that do that but still make at least a little effort this shit does not.
I barely made it to the end which in my style I won’t spoil for you just in case you accidently watch this loose the function of your arms or in fact whole body and have to sit through it.

 
This is bad! But even though I was harsh on the puppet master series last review I do love the Hellraiser series, this does genuinely have a tiny spark of something that could have been a lot better a diamond in the heart of the coal that could have formed if metaphorically left for just a bit longer (rewritten slightly bigger budget and Doug Bradley there I said it)
Also just a shout out to the good effects/make up they managed on such a pittance budget which that coupled with the above statement gets this film it’s amazing 1 star grade, now go away and make something better please.

Peace out The Horror Nation
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment